From page 66,
Dining at Great American Lodges by Sharon O'Connor
Courtesy of Canoe Bay in Chetek, WI
A delicious old-fashioned cobbler baked in individual ramekins or one large baking dish and served with homemade or store-bought ice cream.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- ½ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 tart apples, such as Gravenstein, Pippin or Granny Smith, peeled, cored, and cut into 2-inch cubes
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
To make the topping: In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Stir to blend. Add the butter and rub it in with your fingers until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Pour in the milk and stir with a fork until just combined.
To make the filling: In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients and stir until well combined.
Preheat the oven to 350F. Butter 4 individual ramekins or pour into the baking dish and cover with topping. Bake in the preheated oven for 40 to 50 minutes, or until the topping is golden brown. Remove and let cool for 10 minutes. Serve with a scoop of ice cream on top.
Makes 4 servings
- Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ vanilla bean, split lengthwise, or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 egg yolks
- ½ cup sugar
- In a medium saucepan, bring the milk, cream, and vanilla bean, if using, to a boil over medium heat; remove from heat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the egg yolk s and sugar together until pale. Stir one-third of the hot cream mixture into the egg mixture. Return to the saucepan with the hot cream, reduce heat to low, and stir constantly until the mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve and stir in the vanilla extract, if using.. let cool, then refrigerate until chilled, at least 2 hours. Freeze in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
Makes 1 pint