Make this easy Italian-style omelette when zucchini is plentiful. This version uses mostly egg whites instead of whole eggs to reduce the amount of calories, fat and cholesterol.
3 medium zucchini
2 whole large eggs
4 egg whites
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oi
2 shallots or 1 small onion, finely diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Using the large holes on a box grater, shred the zucchini. Wrap the zucchini in a tea towel and squeeze out as much moisture as possible.
- Preheat the broiler. In a medium bowl, lightly beat the eggs and the Parmesan cheese together
- In a large, ovenproof skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil over medium-high heat and saute the shallots or onion, garlic, and zucchini for 5 minutes, or until the zucchini is tender. Stir in the basil, salt, and pepper. Stir the zucchini mixture into the egg mixture.
- In the same skillet, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil over high heat until it shimmers. Add the egg mixture and spread evenly. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 5 minutes, or until the frittata is almost set.
- Place the pan under the preheated broiler and cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes.
- Slide the frittata onto a large plate. Let cool for 5 minutes and cut into wedges. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Makes 6 servings
Try adding 1 cup (5 oz) sliced mushrooms or 1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded and cut into thin strips, to the egg mixture. This is also delicious with 1 cup ricotta cheese beaten into the eggs. You can substitute chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley for the basil.