Moist, sweet waffles made from a batter with a gorgeous color. Serve with a bowl of spiced pecans for sprinkling on top and a pitcher of warm maple syrup.
Spiced Pumpkin or Sweet Potato Waffles
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
¼ cup pecans, toasted and chopped
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg, or more to taste
1 tablespoon sugar
2 large eggs
1 ½ cups buttermilk
¼ cup melted butter or olive oil
1 cup pumpkin puree or cooked mashed sweet potato or yam (2 sweet potatoes)
Unsalted butter and maple syrup for serving
Sweet Spiced Pecans (recipe follows) for serving
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, chopped pecans, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and sugar. Stir with a whisk to blend.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs lightly. Whisk in the buttermilk, butter or olive oil, and pumpkin or sweet potato until smooth. Add the flour mixture. Stir until just blended; don’t overmix the batter. Let rest for 10 or 15 minutes without stirring.
- Preheat and prepare a waffle maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Add about ½ cup batter to the waffle maker. Close and bake until deeply golden. Repeat to use the rest of the batter. Serve hot, with butter and maple syrup. Sprinkle with spiced pecans, if you like.
- Using a 3- to 4-inch round cutter, punch out rounds from the rolled pasta dough. Add 1 teaspoon filling to the center of each round, leaving a 1-inch border. Dip your fingers into a glass of water and moisten the edges of each circle. Fold over one side of the dough to form a half-moon, then press to seal with your fingers. Using the tines of a fork, crimp the edges to seal completely. Transfer the sealed pasta to a lightly floured baking sheet.
Makes 6 to 8 waffles
Sweet Spiced Pecans
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
¼ cayenne pepper
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon light brown sugar
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
2 cups pecan halves
- Preheat the oven to 325F. In a small bowl, whisk together all the ingredients except the pecans.
- Add the pecans to a medium bowl. Pour the butter mixture over the pecans and stir until well coated. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Spread the pecans in a single layer on the bottom of a rimed baking sheet. Bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes, then stir and toast up to 5 minutes longer, or just until fragrant and lightly browned.
- Remove from heat, let cool, and store the spiced nuts in an airtight container for up to 1 week.