From Salsa! by Sharon O'Connor
A creamy tropical sorbet with brightly colored fruit and crisp cinnamon chips makes a fabulous dessert.
- 1 pint coconut sorbet
- Cinnamon Tortilla Chips (recipe follows)
- Mango Strawberry Salsa (recipe follows)
Scoop the sorbet into small bowls, ice cream sundae glasses, or cocktail glasses. Top the sorbet with mango-strawberry salsa. Garnish with the cinnamon tortilla chips and serve.
Cinnamon Tortilla Chips
- Two Flour Tortillas
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 egg white
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
2. Stack the tortillas on a work surface. Using a small plate as a guide, cut them into a 6-Inch circle. Cut the stack in half and cut each half into 3 wedges. Reassemble the wedge into 2 rounds on the baking sheet.
3. In a small bowl, stir the sugar and cinnamon together. In a small bowl, beat the egg white until foamy. Brush each reassembled tortilla with egg white. Sprinkle evenly with cinnamon sugar. Bake the tortillas 12 to 15 minutes, or until crisp.
Makes 4 servings
The tortilla chips can be made 1 day ahead; store in an airtight container.
- 2 mangoes, peeled and diced (see Cook's Tip)
- 1 basket strawberries, hulled and diced
- 1 tablespoon sugar or to taste
- 2 tablespoons rum (optional)
1. In a medium bowl, combine the mangoes, the strawberries, sugar and rum, if using. Toss gently to blend. Serve the salsa now, or cover and refrigerate for up to 2 hours.
To Dice and Peel a Mango: Stand the mango upright on a work surface and cut off the rounded cheek from each side of the pit. Score the flesh into small dice. Lay your knife flat and cut the mango cubes from the skin.