From Invitation To Tea
The quintessential treat to serve with a bracing pot of tea.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1 cup milk
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. In a medium bowl, stir the flour, sugar, and baking powder until thoroughly blended. Using a pastry cutter, 2 dinner knives, or your fingers, cut or rub in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in the raisins and mix well. Quickly stir in the milk to make a firm dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured work surface and knead lightly a few times until smooth. Roll out to a 3/8-inch thickness and cut into 2-inch rounds with a pastry cutter or the rim of a small glass.
- Place the scones 1 inch apart on a baking sheet. Brush each with a little milk and bake in the preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until lightly golden. Serve warm, with orange marmalade, strawberry preserves, or lemon curd.Makes about 16 scones