Warm Chocolate Pudding With Candied Orange Peel
6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups milk
3 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
2 teaspoons grated orange zest
3 tablespoons fresh orange juice
Candied Orange Peel (recipe follows)
1. In a medium saucepan, whisk the sugar, cocoa, cornstarch, and salt. Whisk in the milk until smooth. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until the mixture thickens and comes to a boil, about 5 minutes.
2. Remove the pan from heat and stir in the chocolate, orange zest, and orange juice. Let stand until the chocolate melts, then stir until smooth.
3. Divide the pudding among 4 small bowls. Let cool for about 20 minutes to serve warm and soft, or let cool and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Serve with candied orange peel.
Makes 4 servings
Candied Orange Peel
Because you’ll be eating the peel, it’s best to use organic oranges.
1 orange, scrubbed
1 1/2 cups sugar
1. Using a small, sharp knife, remove the zest in long strips, avoiding the white pith. Slice into thin strips.
2. In a saucepan, bring the zest and 2 cups cold water to a boil, drain the zest in a sieve. Repeat.
3. In a saucepan, bring 1 cup of the sugar and 1/2 cup water to a boil. Add the zest, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 10 minutes. Drain the zest and let it cool.
4. Place the remaining 1/2 cup sugar in a bowl. Add the peel and toss to coat. Remove the pieces. Store in an airtight container for several weeks.