Kick up the flavor with a zesty spice rub and a luscious salsa. Serve with Grilled Corn on the Cob with Spicy Lime Butter and icy cold beer.
Southwest Spice Rub
2 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons ancho chili powder
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon paprika or smoked paprika
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
6 boneless chicken breast halves
Juice of 2 limes
1/3 cup olive oil
For an even more flavorful spice rub, add 2 or 3 minced garlic cloves to a bowl and mash with the salt to make a paste.Stir in the rest of the spice rub ingredients.
Avocado Salsa for serving (recipe follows)
1. In a medium bowl, combine all the spice rub ingredients and stir until thoroughly blended.
Place the chicken between sheets of plastic wrap. With the flat side of a mallet or a heavy skillet, pound the chicken until 1/3 inch thick.
2. Place the chicken in a large baking dish and drizzle with the lime juice and olive oil. Sprinkle with the spice rub and until evenly coated. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes, or refrigerate for up to 2 hours. If refrigerated, let stand at room temperature for at least 30 minutes before grilling.
3. Prepare a medium-hot fire in a charcoal grill, or preheat a gas grill to 375° F. Clean the grill grids with a wire brush before cooking. Oil the hot grids with a wad of paper towels soaked in vegetable oil.
4. Grill the chicken 4 to 5 minutes on each side, or until no longer pink in the center. Serve at once, with the avocado salsa.
Makes 6 appetizer servings
1. In a medium bowl, combine all the ingredients and stir gently to blend.
3 firm, ripe avocados, halved, peeled, pitted, and coarsely chopped
2 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1 small red onion, finely diced
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice, or to taste
1 jalapeno chili, seeded and minced
1/3 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
Salt to taste