Open-Face Sandwich with Goat Cheese, Zucchini, and Sun-Dried Tomato
From Paris Cafés by Sharon O'Connor, recipe courtesy of Café Le Nemours
With a fresh salad on the side, this delicious vegetarian sandwich is simple to prepare for lunch and makes an easy light supper or snack.
2 medium zucchini, thinly sliced lengthwise
1 -8-ounce log fresh white goat cheese, thinly sliced
12 oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained and chopped
Herbes de Provence and ground black pepper
Fresh flat-leaf parsley sprigs for garnish (optional)
Café Salad (recipe follows)
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Lightly brush the bread slices with the olive oil. Arrange the slices on a baking sheet, oiled side up. Bake until golden on top, about 5 minutes.
2. Top each slice with 3 zucchini ribbons to cover the bread. Lightly brush with olive oil. Arrange goat cheese slices and sundries tomato pieces over the zucchini. Sprinkle with herbs de Provence and pepper; drizzle with olive oil.
3. Bake the tar tines in the preheated oven until the cheese is bubbly and lightly browned, 5 to 10 minutes. Transfer the tar tines to 4 plates, garnish with parsley if you like, and arrange a little salad on the side.
6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons wine vinegar or fresh lime juice
¼teaspoon Dijon mustard
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1 carrot, peeled and shredded
2 small tomatoes, cored and cut into wedges
1 apple, cored, thinly sliced
4 handfuls baby greens
1 handful toasted hulled pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds
2. Putt the carrot in a small bowl and toss with about 1 tablespoon of the vinaigrette. Put the tomato wedges in a bowl and toss with about 1 tablespoon of the vinaigrette. Put the apple slices in a bowl and toss with about 1 tablespoon of the vinaigrette.
3. Add the green to a medium bowl and toss with the remaining vinaigrette. Arrange a mound of greens on each plate and top with the tomatoes, apple slices, and carrots.