With great texture and a fantastic blueberry taste, these muffins are a family brunch favorite.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Lightly butter or oil 12 muffin tin cups, or line them with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, stir the flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt, and baking powder together until blended. Add the blueberries and stir until they are coated with flour.
- In a medium bowl, beat the egg, milk, and butter together. Pour the milk mixture into the flour mixture and stir with a fork until just combined; it's OK to have a few lumps.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin cups, filling them three-fourths full. Place in the oven and immediately reduce the temperature to 400°F.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Let cool the pan for 5 minutes, then unmold.
Makes 12 muffins
To make light, tender muffins, quickly blend the wet and dry ingredients together. To avoid blue batter, don't defrost frozen blueberries before adding them. Coating the blueberries with the flour mixture helps them to stay evenly distributed in the batter and not sink to the bottom.